Col Henry has been making art for 40 years. The following are a few of the 120 events, selected from the past few years.
1. SYMPOSIUM INVITE Invited to present a paper on ‘Abstract Sculpture’ in Xi’An, China 16 – 20 Nov 2012
2. PUBLISHED Articles in National Sculpture Magazine of China and ArtsHub Nov 2012
3. CURATOR OF SCULPTURE ON THE GREENS. A new direction for this great exhibition held at Kooindah Waters Golf Resort during April and May 2012
4. COMMISSIONED to be guest Resident Sculptor for the Crush Festival, 2012, around Bunderberg / Childers, QLD during Oct 2012
5. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Kogarah CBD, for Kogarah Council. .A large water feature to be Installation June 2013
6. INVITED to exhibit in the 10th Annual Swell Sculpture Prize on Currumbin Beach, Qld, Sept 2012.
7. INVITED to exhibit in the Mistletoe Wines Sculpture Prize in the Hunter Valley, Oct 2012- Jan 2013.
8. SHORT LISTED during 2012 for several major site specific Public Sculptures, including Foreshore Park Lake Illawarra, Wollongong Council and an Entrance Sculpture, North Sydney Council. These opportunities are currently on hold due to funding restraints, and the competitive nature of the process.
9. COMMUNITY PROJECT Mentoring Central Coast HSC students with a one day seminar and creation day as part of their syllabus. May 2012
10. COMMISSIONED to create Entrance Sculpture for the Shire of Banana, March 2012. This work should be installed in 2013 and is part of ‘Banana Trails’ with a budget of over $1mil. Nine large outdoor sculptures will be installed throughout Banana Shire to encourage visitors from all over the world to ‘Sense the Outback and its History.’
11. AMBASSADOR Sculpture in the Vineyards. A large outdoor sculpture exhibition, celebrating its tenth year, running from Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 in the Hunter Valley
12. INVITED SOLO EXHIBITION of 12 new stainless steel works at Syndicate Galley in conjunction the major opening of 8 prestigious galleries in Danks Street Art Complex, Wollomoloo Jan 2012
13. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Hogden Park Kogarah, for Kogarah Council. This work required the Artist to hold fact finding meetings with three local high schools, and ‘Workshop’ ideas from students to create a meaningful and site specific sculpture for the Park. Installed April 2012
14. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Centrelink Offices Narre, Warren, Melbourne. Feb 2012
15. COMMISSIONED to create a Public Sculpture to commemorate the opening the Wyong / Gosford Councils Water Storage System, March 2012
16. INVITED by Hunters Hill Council to conduct ‘Hands on Sculpture Making Day’ with the public, to celebrate Councils 150th Anniversary - Nov 2011
17. INVITED AS GUEST ARTIST to Exhibit in the ‘Sculptures by the Harbour, Hunters Hill Sailing Club – Nov 2011
18. FACT FINDING TOUR The Artist has recently returned from a six week ‘Commercial Fact Finding Tour’ through Greece, Turkey, Bangkok and Bali making many new contacts and expanding his ‘inspirational resource’ and developing potential commercial connections. 2011
19. CONSULTANT Install and fine tune a ‘Drawing Light Laser’ exhibited in the ‘VIVID’ Light Festival, in The Rocks, Sydney - May 2011
20. EXHIBITOR ‘Sculpture in the Vines’, Oct – 2011 – Jan 2012, Hunter Valley, NSW
21. WINNER Swell Sculpture Festival Gold Coast City Council Acquisition Prize $20,000 - Sept 2011
22. INVITED to conduct ‘Master Classes’ for the Swell Sculpture Festival - Sept 2011
23. INVITEDto Curate, and Judge ‘Sculpture on the Green’ at Kooindah Waters, NSW, with a $20,000 prize pool April 2012
24. EXHIBITOR ‘Mistletoe Sculpture Prize’, Sept – 2011 – Jan 2012, Hunter Valley, NSW
25. COMMUNITY PROJECT Design, develop and install a series of Watch Dog with community assistance to increase awareness re recycling. March 2011
26. EXHIBITOR ‘Ephemera Exhibition’ – 5 Lands Walk Festival 2011 - Avoca Beach NSW 18 June 2011
27. CURATE and Inspire 7 High Schools to make large outdoor works to exhibit in ‘Sculpture by the Bay’, Gosford Regional Gallery April 2011
28. COMMISIONED A major public works to be installed in front of the Mabo Library in the James Cook University with installation 2012
29. WINNER - Swell Sculpture Festival. Satterley Property Group Acquisition Prize ($20.000) on Currumbin Beach. September 2010
30. INVITED ARTIST Gold Coast Sculpture Festival in the new water front park in Southport, Qld. September 2010
31. SOLO EXHIBITION 40 new sculpture inspired by the residency during 2010 at the Sydney Heritage Fleet. Exhibition held at Wharf 7, Darling Harbour, featured many works made from recycled steel and exotic woods replaced on the 100 year old John Oxley Steam Ship. 26 Nov – 16 Dec 2010
32. INVITED to Exhibit in the Florence Biennale in late 2011,
33. COMMISIONED for major work in Europe. This work has been exported recently with final installation in Jan 2011
34. GUEST SPEAKER – Sculptors Society May 2009 and Gosford Regional Gallery - Artist Network Meeting June 2009
35. INVITED ARTIST - Exhibit works at a prominent location to advertise Swell Sculpture Festival 2009 due to the ‘Wow Factor’ Aug 2009
36. NOMINATED – Resident Sculptor for the ‘Sydney Heritage Fleet’ during 2010. This residency allows the Artist to conceive and develop sculptures inspired by the ‘Fleet’ and the historic relics stored in warehouses and the museum at Darling Harbour, culminating in an exhibition of new works at Darling Harbour at the end of 2010.
37. COMMISSIONED to create a Major sculptural work for Kogarah Council in their Community Gardens Area at Carrs Park.
38. COMMISSIONED To design and install a major public work for Eden Gardens, North Ryde. The work needed to be site specific, and encourage the visitors to the site to explore the magnificent gardens in the complex. It also needed to be bright and joyful, tall and able to be see fro a distance without obstructing the flow of pedestrians.
39. SELECTED for a Sculpture Residency at Montsalvat, is Australia’s oldest artists’ colony and is home to practicing artists, founded 1935 by Justus Jörgensen, at Eltham near Melbourne. The Residency took place in Nov – Dec 2010 with very interesting outcomes and network potential.
40. SHORT LISTED down two 2 for the prestigious Long Paddock Project, A major 5 meter tall Stainless Steel sculpture designed for a site specific installation on the Hay Plains, NSW The sculpture had to relate to the ‘Legend of the ‘Headless Horseman’ and be “Bullet Proof”. The process was incredibly competitive, and included applications from many well know overseas artists. January 2009. Maquette of ‘Headless Horseman’ acquired for permanent travelling display.
41. INVITED with 6 other prominent sculptors to make a sculpture from a wine barrel. The work was auctioned with all proceeds donated to the Camperdown Childrens Hospitial. The works where displayed and auctioned for the Gala Event, at Capperila Vineyard in the Hunter Valley during March 2009 and was a great and financial success
42. COMMISSIONED for a major Public Stainless Steel Sculpture for DECC and National Parks. The works are a site specific work collaborating with local Indigenous Groups and Traditional Owners to add significance to a major stainless steel sculpture for Baradine - Dandry Gorge, National Park. A fantastic opportunity with cross cultural influence and benefits. This process was filmed by ABC TV to be shown later in 2009 in conjunction with the official opening. Installed May 2009.
43. INVITED Guest Sculptor , Five Lands Festival, 21 June 2008
44. Announced ‘PEOPLES CHOICE WINNER’ at the prestigious University of Western Sydney Acquisition Sculpture Prize, June 2008
45. INVITED - Yering Station Sculpture Exhibition and Awards, 14 October till mid December 2008. The Selection Panel were The Curator, La Trobe University Collection, Curator of Contemporary Art, National Gallery of Victoria, and Director, Heide Museum of Modern Art. Winner - Sculpture Exhibition Staff Award
46. COMMISSIONED by Wollongong Council to design, fabricate and install a Major Stainless Steel, Public Art Work on the foreshore on Wollongong Harbor Parkland. 15 July 2008, installed June 2009.
47. EXHIBITOR in the prestigious Swell Sculpture Festival on the beach and parklands of Currumbin Beach, Queensland. 12 September 2008. Images used for Exhbition advertising. Featured in DVD and ABC Broadcasts.
48. NOMINATED for the ‘Significant Men’s Register’ - a book to be released in 2009 – “Committed to making a difference relating to the arts and in particular Sculpture”.
49. SOLO SCULPTURE EXHIBITION of “new and innovative” works, Cookshill Gallery Newcastle, 7 – 24 March 2008
50. INVITED Artist, with Euon McCloud and other Archibald Winners, Sydney College of the Arts Exhibition, Food, Water, Shelter, Charity Event, 14 – 17 March 2008.
51. Awarded a rare ‘HIGHLY COMMENDED’ in the Wyong Festival of the Arts Sculpture Prize, represented by thirty well known Sculptors, 14 March 2008.
52. WINNER of the ‘Perisher Blue Sculpture Prize’ amongst 50 entrants in the Lake Light Sculpture Prize Jindabyne, 21 March 2008. The organizers also used Col Henrys images to advertise and promote the exhibition.
53. COMMISSIONED to supply “Icemen”, an award wining sculpture of two life size figures, made from ‘Colcast and Pure Glass’, for the foyer of the Head Office of Newcastle Permanent Building Society, in Newcastle. April 2008
54. INVITED to exhibit ‘Sculpture by the Brook 2008’, in the extensive gardens of Fernbrook Gallery and Garden, 3 – 31 May 2008 with 14 other well known Sculptors.
55. INVITED in ‘Sculpture in the Vineyards’, Hunter Valley. There were at least 60 large-scale outdoor sculptures along the Wollombi Valley wine trail in four venues. Anthony Bond, Director of Curatorial Services at The Art Gallery of New South Wales and Anne Graham, Artist and Head of School of Fine Arts, Faculty of Arts and Education at the University of Newcastle delivered the joint opening address at the Official Opening , 20 October – 7 December 2007. Once again, images of Col Henrys’ Sculptures were used to advertise the exhibition. Invited 2008 and 2009
56. INVITED Montalto Sculpture Prize. Selected to exhibit from a record number of entries, 17 February – 27 April 2008.
57. SHORT LISTED to exhibit ‘University Western Sydney Sculpture Award and Exhibition’ which has many selection criteria including – “originality and the expression of creative and expressive ideas”, 2 May – 1 June 2008. His works were described in the UWS Education Pack as “the most immediately interactive work in the exhibition” and received high praise. It also won THE PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD.
58. WINNER of Maitland City Sculpture Prize, judged by the Director of the highly acclaimed 460 Gallery- now Borg Galleries. “The work stood out as outstanding sculpture and had a great presence”, 8 – 18 February 2008. It also won PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD.
59. CONDUCT SCULPTURE CLASSES Full day class have conducted for 30 week / year for over 20 years at Col Henrys Studio, (plus other teaching)
60. SOLO EXHIBITION of twenty five new, large outdoor Steel and Stainless Steel works at the Gosford Regional Gallery during January 2007
61. SOLO EXHIBITION of 50 new and innovative ‘GOSSAMER SERIES’ Sculptures at Galeria Aniela in Kangaroo Valley, June - September 2007
62. COMMISSIONED to install three large Stainless Steel Public Sculptures at Waterford ,Gold Coast in a large Public Park for Lend Lease Delfin. Nov 2007
63. SELECTED to exhibit in the 12th Annual Thursday Plantation Sculpture Show in Ballina. 30 September 2007 - 31 January 2008. There where 59 stunning new Sculpture works on exhibition from all over Australia.