SELECTED CURRICULUM VITAE 2014
COL HENRY SCULPTURE PARK, STUDIO AND GALLERY. ABN 86296848757
Commissions, Classes, Consultations, Art Foundry and Art Sales
138 Yarramalong Rd., Wyong Creek, NSW. Australia. 2259.
0243512789 0448512788 0438512787
firstname.lastname@example.org www.colhenry.com also - www.sculptorssociety.com.
PHILOSOPHICAL STATEMENT It’s very important to make your art, make your marks.
Important to pass on your understanding
Emotionally rewarding to share your feelings
Essential to leave something behind, a thought, an idea, love or sometimes, something more tactile. CH.
RECENT MAJOR PUBLIC WORKS 2009 - 2014
1. Public Sculpture Selandra Rise Community Centre, City of Casey Council, to be installed Feb 2015
2. Public Sculpture Noorat, Street Revitalisation, Corangamite Shire Council, to be installed March 2015
3. Major public works, Sunshine, Melbourne, Brimbank Council, Street Scape upgrade, 3 site specific works, installed July 2014
4. Public Sculpture, Warrawong Community Centre, City of Woolongong Council, Artistic Signage, installed June 2014
5. Public Sculpture and Water Feature, Wombat Winery, Hunter Valley installed Feb and May 2014
6. Major public works, Wagga Wagga Council, Wagga Airport, installed Dec 2013
7. Public Sculpture for FKP Corporate, Luxe Building, Wooloomooloo, install in July 2014
8. Public Sculpture for Gosford Shire Council Waste Education Facility installed Dec 2013
9. Major public works installed Sept 2013 in front of the Mabo Library in the James Cook University
10. Public Sculpture / Water Feature in CBD Kogarah, for Kogarah Council. To be Installed Sept 2013
11. Public work celebrating 90 years Marcellin College, Randwick, installed April 2013 Public Sculpture in Hogden Park Kogarah, for Kogarah Council. Installed April 2012
12. Public Sculpture in Carrs Park Kogarah, for Kogarah Council. Installed April 2012
13. Public Sculpture in Centrelink Offices Narre Warren, Melbourne. Feb 2012
14. Commissioned, Entrance Sculpture for the Shire of Banana, Feb 2012, install late 2015
15. Public Sculpture commemorating opening the Wyong / Gosford Councils Water, March 2012
16. Major Public Stainless Steel Sculpture for DECC and National Parks Dandry Gorge, installed 2009
17. Major Stainless Steel Public Art Work on the foreshore on Wollongong Council Harbor Parkland, June 2009
A FEW SELECTED ACTIVITIES
Col Henry ,born 1947 in Gosford, NSW, and lists his main qualification as a ‘Long and Diverse Life Experience’. The artist has many Art and Education related Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates including Certificates of Welding, Industrial Foundry, Panelbeating and Spray Painting Trade Certificate, and Certificates in Industrial Management. He has a vast and diverse experience in industry and construction,. Full Time TAFE Teacher for 23 years, retiring to full time Sculptor in 1995. Conducted Private Art and Sculpture Classes at his Studio for the last 25 years. Extended overseas study tours Europe 1997, and 2010, 2011, Indonesia 2011
Sculptures featured in several documentaries including ABC Artscape Member of Sculptors Society for over 25 years
Private Collections include Australia, Japan, Europe, England and USA, South Africa and artists private collection Some Awards and Commendations include Gosford Regional Gallery for Sculpture, Artscrawl for Digital Photography and Winner in Quickflixs Short Movie Festival 2001. Including First prizes and commendations and Peoples Choice for Sculpture Shows and exhibitions.
Director of Sculpture on the Greens , a major outdoor Sculpture Exhibition funded by Local Business who support the Artists passion and energy.
The Artist also had a successful business up to 2009, creating many building and land developments, where the total budgets where between 1 to 2 million dollars. These projects were designed, completed and funded by the Artist.
SELECTED EXAMPLES OF RECENT PRIZES Artist has Exhibited since 1980
Perisher Blue Sculpture Prize, amongst 50 entrants in the Lake Light Sculpture Prize Jindabyne. 21 March 2008
Maitland City Sculpture Prize, It also won PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD. Feb 2008.
Swell Sculpture Festival, Satterley Property Group Acquisition Prize ($20.000) on Currumbin Beach. Sept 2010
Swell Sculpture Festival, Gold Coast City Council Acquisition Prize $20,000. Sept 2011
Swell Sculpture Festival, Gold Coast City Council Acquisition Prize Sept 2012
Mistletoe Sculpture Prize, Sept 2011 and 2012
SELECTED EXAMPLES SOLO EXHIBITIONS
25 new, large Steel and Stainless Steel works at the Gosford Regional Gallery, Jan 2007
50 new ‘GOSSAMER SERIES’ Sculptures at Galeria Aniela in Kangaroo Valley, Sept 2007
40 new sculpture inspired by ‘Artist Residency’ ,Sydney Heritage Fleet. Wharf 7, Darling Harbour, Dec 2010
16 new‘Sculptures by the Harbour, Hunters Hill, Nov 2011
12 new stainless steel works at Syndicate Galley, Danks Street Art Complex, Wollomoloo, Jan 2012
SELECTED EXAMPLES OF GROUP EXHIBITIONS
Thursday Plantation Sculpture Show in Ballina. 2007 and 2008
Montalto Sculpture Prize 2008
Yering Station Sculpture Exhibition and Awards 2008
Five Lands Sculpture Festival 2010 and 2011, 2014
Sculpture in the Vineyards, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 20010, 2011, 2012
Swell Sculpture Festival 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Harbour Sculpture 2011, 2013, 2014
See More details at www.colhenry.com see also Selected Highlights next page
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS COL HENRY - SCULPTOR 2007-14 www.colhenry.com
Col Henry has been making art for over 40 years. The following are a few of the highlights, selected from the past few years.
1. COMMISSIONED, Public Sculpture Selandra Rise Community Center, City of Casey Council, to be installed Feb 2015. $35k
2. COMMENDED, Leichhardt Council Sculpture Proposal Oct 2013
3. COMMISSIONED, Public Sculpture Noorat, Steet Revitialisation, Corangamite Shire Council, to be installed March 2015. $35k
4. PUBLIC LECTURE, Brimbank Council, Hunt Club Arts Centre, Sept 2014
5. INVITED, Exhibit Sculptural Proposal for Newcastle’s oldest School, to be commissioned in 2016, Aug 2014
6. PUBLIC LECTURE, Sunshine University Alumni Group, Aug 2014
7. GUEST SPEAKER Arists Collective, Central Coast, NSW, Aug 2014
8. INVITED to exhibit in Harbour Sculpture on Sydney Harbour July 2014
9. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Sunshine CBD, for Brimbank Council. Three site specific works inspired by Community Consultation install June 2014
10. COMMISSIONED Public Sculpture, Warrawong Community Center, City of Woolongong Council, Artistic Signage with Community Consultation installed June 2014. $25k
11. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Wagga Airport, for Wagga Council. Three site specific works inspired by Community Consultation installed Nov 2013
12. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Sydney Rocks for a Private Architectural Firm. Installed July 2014
13. INVITED to exhibit a large outdoor work as a paid guest artist at Swell ‘Art with Attitude’ Exhibition, Sept 2013
14. INVITED Exhibitor Harbour Sculpture 2013 August 2013
15. STUDY TOUR Italy - May/June 2013 Broadening his knowledge and create valuable networks internationally.
16. AMBASSADOR for ‘Sculpture in the Vineyards’ displaying a major work in the Hunter Valley to promote sculpture and the upcoming event. 2012
17. COMMITTEE MEMBER for Gosford City Council Steering Committee to frame the direction of their Art Policy Public 12.Nov 2012
18. INVITED to collaborate with a world class, Chinese Super-realism Artist, to create interactive Abstract Sculptures that move and react to the audience. They will also contain latest technology including iPhone controls and LED controllable lighting.
19. SYMPOSIUM INVITE Invited to present a paper on ‘Abstract Sculpture’ and exhibit, at the First National China Contemporary Abstract Sculpture Exhibition in Xi’An, China 16 – 20 Nov 2012
20. PUBLISHED Articles in National Sculpture Magazine of China and ArtsHub Nov 2012
21. DIRECTOR OF SCULPTURE ON THE GREENS. A new direction for this great exhibition held at Kooindah Waters Golf Resort during April and May 2013, 2014 and 2015 see www.sculptureonthegreens.net.au.
22. COMMISSIONED to be guest Resident Sculptor for the Crush Festival, 2012, around Bunderberg / Childers, QLD during Oct 2012
23. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Kogarah CBD, for Kogarah Council. .A large water feature to be Installation June 2013
24. INVITED to exhibit in the 10th Annual Swell Sculpture Prize on Currumbin Beach, Qld, Sept 2012.
25. INVITED to exhibit in the Mistletoe Wines Sculpture Prize in the Hunter Valley, Oct 2012- Jan 2013.
26. INVITED AS GUEST ARTIST Sculpture by the Bay, Gosford March 2013. Mentor students from 6 local High Schools to create, make and install a outside sculpture work. This process will span over 5 months with visits to the schools.
27. COMMUNITY PROJECT Mentoring Central Coast HSC students with a one day seminar and creation day as part of their syllabus. May 2012
28. COMMISSIONED to create Entrance Sculpture for the Shire of Banana, March 2012. This work should be installed in 2014 and is part of ‘Banana Trails’ with a budget of over $1mil. Nine large outdoor sculptures will be installed throughout Banana Shire to encourage visitors from all over the world to ‘Sense the Outback and its History.’ Final funding TBA
29. AMBASSADOR Sculpture in the Vineyards. A large outdoor sculpture exhibition, celebrating its tenth year, running from Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 in the Hunter Valley
30. INVITED SOLO EXHIBITION of 12 new stainless steel works at Syndicate Galley in conjunction the major opening of 8 prestigious galleries in Danks Street Art Complex, Wollomoloo Jan 2012
31. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Hogden Park Kogarah, for Kogarah Council. This work required the Artist to hold fact finding meetings with three local high schools, and ‘Workshop’ ideas from students to create a meaningful and site specific sculpture for the Park. Installed April 2012
32. COMMISSIONED Installation of Public Sculpture in Centrelink Offices Narre, Warren, Melbourne. Feb 2012
33. COMMISSIONED to create a Public Sculpture to commemorate the opening the Wyong / Gosford Councils Water Storage System, March 2012
34. INVITED by Hunters Hill Council to conduct ‘Hands on Sculpture Making Day’ with the public, to celebrate Councils 150th Anniversary - Nov 2011
35. INVITED AS GUEST ARTIST to Exhibit in the ‘Sculptures by the Harbour, Hunters Hill Sailing Club – Nov 2011
36. FACT FINDING TOUR The Artist has recently returned from a six week ‘Commercial Fact Finding Tour’ through Greece, Turkey, Bangkok and Bali making many new contacts and expanding his ‘inspirational resource’ and developing potential commercial connections. 2011
37. CONSULTANT Install and fine tune a ‘Drawing Light Laser’ exhibited in the ‘VIVID’ Light Festival, in The Rocks, Sydney - May 2011
38. EXHIBITOR ‘Sculpture in the Vines’, Oct – 2011 – Jan 2012, Hunter Valley, NSW
39. WINNER Swell Sculpture Festival Gold Coast City Council Acquisition Prize $20,000 - Sept 2011
40. INVITED to conduct ‘Master Classes’ for the Swell Sculpture Festival - Sept 2011
41. INVITED to Curate, and Judge ‘Sculpture on the Green’ at Kooindah Waters, NSW, with a $20,000 prize pool April 2012
42. EXHIBITOR ‘Mistletoe Sculpture Prize’, Sept – 2011 – Jan 2012, Hunter Valley, NSW
43. COMMUNITY PROJECT Design, develop and install a series of Watch Dog with community assistance to increase awareness re recycling. March 2011
44. EXHIBITOR ‘Ephemera Exhibition’ – 5 Lands Walk Festival 2011 - Avoca Beach NSW 18 June 2011
45. CURATE and Inspire 7 High Schools to make large outdoor works to exhibit in ‘Sculpture by the Bay’, Gosford Regional Gallery April 2011
46. COMMISSIONED A major public works to be installed in front of the Mabo Library in the James Cook University with installation 2012
47. WINNER - Swell Sculpture Festival. Satterley Property Group Acquisition Prize ($20.000) on Currumbin Beach. September 2010
48. INVITED ARTIST Gold Coast Sculpture Festival in the new water front park in Southport, Qld. September 2010
49. SOLO EXHIBITION 40 new sculpture inspired by the residency during 2010 at the Sydney Heritage Fleet. Exhibition held at Wharf 7, Darling Harbour, featured many works made from recycled steel and exotic woods replaced on the 100 year old John Oxley Steam Ship. 26 Nov – 16 Dec 2010
50. COMMISSIONED for major work in Europe. This work has been exported recently with final installation in Jan 2011
51. GUEST SPEAKER – Sculptors Society May 2009 and Gosford Regional Gallery - Artist Network Meeting June 2009
52. INVITED ARTIST - Exhibit works at a prominent location to advertise Swell Sculpture Festival 2009 due to the ‘Wow Factor’ Aug 2009
53. NOMINATED – Resident Sculptor for the ‘Sydney Heritage Fleet’ during 2010. This residency allows the Artist to conceive and develop sculptures inspired by the ‘Fleet’ and the historic relics stored in warehouses and the museum at Darling Harbour, culminating in an exhibition of new works at Darling Harbour at the end of 2010.
54. COMMISSIONED to create a Major sculptural work for Kogarah Council in their Community Gardens Area at Carrs Park.
55. COMMISSIONED To design and install a major public work for Eden Gardens, North Ryde. The work needed to be site specific, and encourage the visitors to the site to explore the magnificent gardens in the complex. It also needed to be bright and joyful, tall and able to be see fro a distance without obstructing the flow of pedestrians.
56. SELECTED for a Sculpture Residency at Montsalvat, is Australia’s oldest artists’ colony and is home to practicing artists, founded 1935 by Justus Jörgensen, at Eltham near Melbourne. The Residency took place in Nov – Dec 2010 with very interesting outcomes and network potential.
57. SHORT LISTED down two 2 for the prestigious Long Paddock Project, A major 5 meter tall Stainless Steel sculpture designed for a site specific installation on the Hay Plains, NSW The sculpture had to relate to the ‘Legend of the ‘Headless Horseman’ and be “Bullet Proof”. The process was incredibly competitive, and included applications from many well know overseas artists. January 2009. Maquette of ‘Headless Horseman’ acquired for permanent travelling display.
58. INVITED with 6 other prominent sculptors to make a sculpture from a wine barrel. The work was auctioned with all proceeds donated to the Camperdown Childrens Hospitial. The works where displayed and auctioned for the Gala Event, at Capperila Vineyard in the Hunter Valley during March 2009 and was a great and financial success
59. COMMISSIONED for a major Public Stainless Steel Sculpture for DECC and National Parks. The works are a site specific work collaborating with local Indigenous Groups and Traditional Owners to add significance to a major stainless steel sculpture for Baradine - Dandry Gorge, National Park. A fantastic opportunity with cross cultural influence and benefits. This process was filmed by ABC TV to be shown later in 2009 in conjunction with the official opening. Installed May 2009.